I also have a case where a person was enumerated in the house of her grandmother, and a month later was enumerated with her father. The census taking in New Jersey that year must have been slow, because it took two weeks to get from Phillipsburg to Harmony, in the same county.

      Elizabeth C

Jenny M Benson wrote:

Richard Hallford wrote

read an article recently re Census in England that said that the Census information for the address was the people who NORMALLY stay their. That could mean that a person could be listed at that address on the night of the Census, but not actually be there. I was initially under the impression that it was only those in the house on the night, but that might not be so. Any thoughts or info?

Whoever wrote that article was incorrect. although they reached the right conclusion!

The instruction was to record *everyone* who was present in the house on Census night - family, lodgers, boarders, visitors, etc.

However, that's not to say that that is what always happened. Mistakes were made. I have at least one instance of a person being enumerated in two different places and there is no way of telling which house he was actually in at the time.