Well Fran, while we were thinking along the same lines up to now, it looks like we must both reconsider rethinking on the use of maybe spelling out for anyone outside the US (the colonies). I think I would even add in inner D.C. community names. In example:

       John Smith
       1234 Harrington Blvd  NW
       Georgetown, Washington
       District of Columbia, U.S.A.

or this:

       John Smith
       1234 Harrington Blvd  NW
       Washington District of Columbia, U.S.A.

or at least this:

       John Smith
       1234 Harrington Blvd  NW
       Washington D.C., U.S.A.

This way there's no possible way it could be misconstrued as another place or country. I think the key is in the "U.S.A." I mean, when we in the states enter an address for say, Germany, it's more like:

       Johann Schmidt
       1234 Friedrich Strasse
       Stuttgart, Rhein, Germany

or something like that. Bear in mind, this is not an actual address... <grin> But we should always enter the country in the address, at least I do.

Joseph
P.S.   Gee, I'm really learning things today.   <GRIN>

From ronald ferguson
To someone from England "Washington D.C." could easily be taken as Washington County Durham - and yes there is one!

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Blog: Create Your Web Pages
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/