Hope Bagot Bees wrote
I tried using older ones, but it had lost data so I then opened Legacy with the 2006 .usr files restored and then opened my most recent backup and now it all looks fine.

As you have solved your problem now, my advice would be too late, but I had been going to suggest that as you are using Windows XP you tried doing a Restore (provided you hadn't made too many changes since your last Restore Point.).

Worth bearing that in mind in case there is a next time, though. Thought I'd just mention it in case it helps anyone else, too.
--
Jenny M Benson