Richard:

I have to disagree somewhat. The Nevada Marriage Index at Ancestry.com is
strictly an index and does not contain images. Therefore, it is not *exactly*
like the US census records. When you cite digital images, it is different than
citing an index or transcription. But I do cite Ancestry.com in both citations
so that I know where to go back to find the digital image or index entry.
And I would also say that Ancestry.com is the originator of that particular
database, though Nevada is the originator of the information that is part of
the database. Ancestry formatted that information to suit its customers'
needs and physically created the database, so I think it would be
incorrect to give Nevada credit for the database.

All:

I don't understand how any can say that they've seen the original State of
Nevada index at Ancestry.com. As the OP said, Ancestry took two indexes and
created one database with both of them. Also, the entries I've researched in
that particular index at Ancestry.com do not have images of the original two
indexes. It is strictly a transcription. Are there other entries that have
images of the index? In that case, then you would be citing a digital image of
an index and you could put the State of Nevada or Clark County as the author of
the index. It would look something like this:

Clark County, Nevada, Marriage Index Book 210: 25, Smith-Jones; Marriage
Bureau, Las Vegas; digital image, "Nevada Marriage Index, 1956-2005,"
Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 1 Aug 2008).

If you were just looking at the index with no image on Ancestry.com, then you
would do something more like this:

"Nevada Marriage Index, 1956-2005," database, Ancestry.com
(http://www.ancestry.com/search : accessed 12 Oct 2008), entry for Victor L,
King and Betty J. Hackett, 10 Feb 1998; citing Nevada Marriage Book 210:
C923786, no. 71867.

Jennifer