Two things here which I don't quite understand.

Some observations when preparing a 'book' report - Descendant Narrative : (1) If I enter data as a note, the information is located immediately under the persons name as a flowing narrative, which can get rather lengthy plus would require adding my sourcing information to the narrative if I wanted to show where I got the information;

Why does the sourcing information need to be added to the narrative? If you are thinking of having several pieces of data from different sources in the Notes, you could just add a brief pointer to which particular Source of several cited relates to that particular section.

OR (2) if entered as an event, the data becomes a short cryptic entry after the name with a footnote.

Why does the data become "a short cryptic entry"? - unless that is the way you have entered it. You can put your short cryptic entry in the Event Description field and then expand as much as you like in the Event Notes. The footnote then directs the reader to the Source Citation. If you have included all the text (or similar detail) of the Source in the Event Notes you don't need to repeat it as part of the Source Citation (although you may wish to do so and not necessarily have it print on reports where it would be duplication.)
--
Jenny M Benson

*** Holiday discounts on Legacy 7.0, add-ons, books, and more. Visit
http://tinyurl.com/65rpbt. ***