Michele,

I do underestand what you are saying but I just do it differently. You seem to
have a census event, I do not. May I take just the head of the family, Henry
Bounds:

Henry Bounds, head, owns home, lives on a farm, male, white, age 42,
> married, married at age 19, able to read and write, born in MS, both parents
> born in MS, speaks English, farmer, farm, #31 on farm schedule

In my records it would appear as:

"Henry Bounds" - Vital Event "Name" - only sourced to 1930 census if previously
not known.
"Head" - not interested and at least on our census not necessarily accurate,
since if the husband is away then the wife would be declared as "head"
"owns own home" - not on English censuses
"lives on farm" - "Residence" Event, sourced to 1930 census
"sex" - not sourced
"white" - not interested (and would not include it in anyway)
"Age" - sourced to 1930 census as "Date of Birth" if not previously known, or
comment made if it does not compare with previous 'facts'.
"Marriage age" - not on England census and would not include as such, but may
enable date of marriage to be calculated which could be sourced to 1930 census.
"born in MS" - Vital Event "Place of birth" - only sourced to 1930 census if
not previously known.
"speaks English" - not on English census, would not use anyhow
"farmer" - Occupation Event, sourced to 1930 census
"farm, #31 on farm schedule" (I think this is all in one) Location field (no
pun intended) for Occupation Event and Residence Event.

This would cover everything I would wish to extract but in a different way to
yourself

*New* Improved Interface for OpenOffice.org Contacts Database
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> From: cranberryf...@charter.net
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Digital Images of Census Pages
> Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:25:06 -0500
>
> I will tell you another advantage, as I am transcribing the census I really
> pick up on things like when something isn't right (an age, a relationship
> etc)
>
> Here is an example of what it looks like (this is an 1860)...
>
> Soloman Garaway, age 32, male, farmer, value of real estate $600, born in GA
> Elizabeth Garaway, age 33, female, born in MS, unable to read or write
> Sarah Garaway, age 11, female, born in MS
> Benjamin Garaway, age 8, male, born in MS
> Clarissa Garaway, age 6, female, born in MS
> Mary Garaway, age 4, female, born in MS
> Matilda Garaway, age 2, female, born in MS
> Leucretia Garaway, age 5/12, female, born in MS
>

> Or a later census (1930)...
> Henry Bounds, head, owns home, lives on a farm, male, white, age 42,
> married, married at age 19, able to read and write, born in MS, both parents
> born in MS, speaks English, farmer, farm, #31 on farm schedule
> Adia Bounds, wife, female, white, age 41, married, married at age 18, able
> to read and write, born in MS, both parents born in MS, speaks English
> Virgil Bounds, son, male, white, age 20, single, able to read and write,
> born in MS, both parents born in MS, speaks, English, log sawyer, logging
> [2nd word unreadable]
> Cull Bounds, son, male, white, age 15, single, able to read and write, born
> in MS, both parents born in MS, speaks English, laborer, farm
> Ernest Bounds, son, male, white, age 12, single, attended school this year,
> able to read and write, born in MS, both parents born in MS, speaks English
> Corzella Bounds, daughter, female, white, age 10, single, attended school
> this year, able to read and write, born in MS, both parents born in MS,
> speaks English
> Harvey Bounds, son, male, white, age 7, single, born in MS, both parents
> born in MS, speaks English
> Elias Bounds, son, male, white, age 4, single, born in MS, both parents born
> in MS, speaks English
>

> I copy the event and add it to each person listed. When you run a report it
> will show the census for every year in order and it makes for a nice
> progression of what happened in their life. They start out living with
> their parents, they get married and have a family of their own, and then
> sometimes they move in with their kids in their later life. You don't see
> it as well if you have just attached a copy (link) of the census.
>
> It does take more time but I think it is worth the effort. Another thing,
> as I am going back through looking at stuff, it is a lot esier looking at
> transcriptions than it is to have to look at the original image again and
> have to re-analyze it. Or course if there is ever a question I can pull the
> census page up easily.
>
> Michele

>>> for my database are for posting at RootsWeb (where attachments wouldn't
>>> be
>>> allowed) and for sharing reports with other researchers (who can verify
>>> the
>>> images themselves if they wish). I especially like having the
>>> transcription
>>> as a source note because I can add comments regarding conflicts, spelling
>>> variations, etc.
>>>
>>> Kirsten

Hotmail, Messenger, Photos  and more - all with the new Windows Live. Get
started!
http://www.download.live.com/