Mine is similar to Michele's, except I organize them geographically:

Missouri, Howell - census 1900 (Ancestry)
Missouri, Howell - census 1910 (Ancestry)
Missouri, Howell - census 1920 (Ancestry)

And so on. One could have several sources for the same census, in which case
it would look like this:

Missouri, Howell - census 1880 (Ancestry)
Missouri, Howell - census 1880 (HeritageQuest)
Missouri, Howell - census 1880 (NARA microfilm)

Because the source name is only for my use, I do not add the detail about
Federal census in the name. I only add that distinction if it is NOT a
federal census:

Kansas, Rawlins - census 1875, state (Ancestry)

It is very much a matter of personal preference and ease. I like to see all
of my sources for one county grouped together, rather than all of my census
grouped together.

Janis Walker Gilmore