Alan,

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "you don't use the default Census
event but instead use an event for each Census? "  I use the default
Census event, but the description, date, and place tailor it to each
particular census.

I started out putting the census details in the Source Detail Text
field.  Then I realized every time I cited the census, and printed the
details, the reports became very cumbersome.  So now I handle the
census like Michele does.

Event = Census
Description = US Federal
Date = 1930 (I am not as detailed here as Michele is)
Location = Vicksburg, Warren, Mississippi, USA

The Notes look like this:
living at 735 Thomas St.
Harry Thompson, head, owns home, value $4800, no radio, age 48,
married at age 32, born in Miss., father born in Miss., mother born in
Texas, conductor for steam railroad
Ione Thompson, wife, age 40, married at at 24, born in Miss., parents
born in Miss.
Ethel E. Whitehead, sister-in-law, female, age 37, widowed, born in
Miss., parents born in Miss., employed as saleslady at 5 and 10 store.
Nora L. Whitehead, niece, age 17, single, born in Miss., parents born in Miss.

In the reports it reads, "He appeared on the US Federal census in 1930
living at 735 Thomas St...."

As far as the Source citation goes, I have used the Sourcewriter
template and I have a census source for each year, state, and county.
I name them like this:

Census: 1930 US Mississippi Warren

It helps me to find them more quickly when I am citing the Master Source.

I also use the Census event for every person listed in the household.
It is very easy to copy the event to the clipboard on the Event
screen, and then paste to the others.  It even pastes the Source, so
you enter the info once and then with just a few clicks the event is
added to everyone involved.

As far as the details go, if it is out of the ordinary, such as an
adult who can't read or write, I will note that, but otherwise I
assume they can read and write.

I also attach a PDF of the census image as a multimedia file to the
source detail, but I do not add any detail text or comments.

I'm interested in this thread, because if anyone has a better way that
produces the kind of reports I want, I'm always willing to learn.

Dede