Paula,

You have nicely identified a basic question which arises when attempting to
create a one size fits all database.

As is quite well known, my main output is for Pedigree Webpages in which each
individual has their own page. I want, therefore, for, say, all the residences
in which the individual lived, to appear on the page for each individual. It is
also my choice not to want this hidden away in a source nor to have Census
Events. It follows that I need Residence Events for each place and individual.

This Residence Event is then sourced to, perhaps, a census. But, as I don't
want repetition I do not include the address and other members of the household
in the Source.

Now, if I also had a significant interest in producing a book then my way of
working would not, in my view, be appropriate because, like you say, it would
involve much repetition. My eventual choice would depend on which aspects of
the lives of my ancestors I wished to concentrate. The Events, their
construction and sourcing would depend on that choice.

Herein lies a problem which all of us have probably faced when first starting
out on our ancestral trail - we do not know where we are going! The earlier
this decision is taken then the earlier the format of the database can be set.
It also follows that one may need more than one database, if there are to be
multiple output formats.

New Tutorial: Embed a Blogger RSS feed on your webpage
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See: