From: Ron Ferguson [mailto:ronfergy....@tiscali.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 6:55 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Locations, addresses and events

Carol,

It is not a "standard location format" if you are British, or of many, many
other nationalities. We abandoned standardisation before it was invented, on
the basis that is does not work, will not work, and conflicts with our
freedom of expression.

My location at one time was "Glossop, Derbyshire, England". The problem is,
as you can see, there aint 4 fields, nor is there anywhere where I can stick
a comma (not that I would, I hate them, except when used correctly in
English). I could also go to the other extreme, should you so wish, where
the very old  (like before my time) location of the place where I lived was
"Winton, Barton upon Irwell, Eccles, Hundred of Salford, Lancashire,
England", where Winton is a Hamlet, Barton upon Irwell: a Township, Eccles:
a Parish, Hundred of Salford: the Hundred, Lancashire: the County and
England: Country.

Please bare in mind that some countries had locations nearly 2000 years ago,
and most of ours were included in the Doomsday Book cir. 1086. You may care
to visit my blog at http://bit.ly/8VDqTc, which was reprinted by World Vital
Records btw. for more details.

I also note that in the new transcriptions for their new database Family
Search are now starting use use correct English locations (more or less).
There's hope yet!

Ron Ferguson

Create your Website with Legacy, see Tutorials at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/ For The Fergusons of N.W. England
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

database 4926 (20100308) __________

http://www.eset.com