From: Bill Bienia [mailto:bill_bie...@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:04 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Locations, addresses and events

Even a 3 or 4 level place location option per county wouldn't work. In Canada,
Ontario and much of the rest of eastern Canada uses a 4 level place locations
(city/town/village/township, county/district/municipality, province, country),
while the prairie provinces and BC use a 3 level place location
(city/town/village/municipal district, province, county). (I'm not sure how the
territories are arranged.) Similar to what Ron Ferguson noted in his example
for England, Ontario (and some other eastern provinces) could really be divided
into 5 levels, i.e. city/town/village, township, county/district/municipality,
province, country. For Canada, they would have to provide the 3 or 4 location
option on a province by province basis.

I know of one geo-database that has encoded all of Canada with the 3-place
location (omitting counties), making it essentially useless for eastern Canada,
or at least Ontario. In Ontario, there are towns, townships and counties all
with the same name, or more commonly townships and counties with the same name,
which are not within the same jurisdiction. As a result, if only one of the
levels is specified, that geo-database gets it wrong most times.

Bill
Hillsburgh, Ontario, Canada