Alan,

Here's my electronic system, for what it's worth.  Under My Documents,
I've set up a folder for each of the primary surnames I'm researching,
e.g., Darsey Family History, Holden Family History, etc.  Within these
folders I store census images by date and other documents by surname
then first name, then type of document.  At first I started storing by
MRIN#, using the file system suggested on the Legacy website, but I
found that it was not easy for me to find what I was looking for.
Since most of the images that I'm storing digitially are censuses, it
helps me to see by year exactly who I have census records for.  Also,
I've found that many times, I have more than one family on a single
page of the census, since the family members tended to live close to
each other.  It's easy to see if I already have a copy of the image.
The particular format I use for the census image is this - 1860
Surname First name County State US Census. If the family is split
across two pages, I put p1 and p2 at the end of the file name.  This
method insures that all the 1860 census images are stored together,
alphabetically by surname.  This is just my system and it works for
me.

If you ever anticipate publishing to a website, please heed what those
with website experience are telling you.  I think the key is to find
the system that works best for you.  I've learned that it is really
trial and error until you find what you're comfortable with.  You are
wise to try to organize.  It will save you lots of time in the long
run.

Dede Holden