From: Ron Taylor <doit4...@yahoo.com>
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
Sent: Sun Sep 19 12:21:52 2010
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Places

This "mapping" problem needs to be addressed (pun intended).  I have found
many locations that are found with Virtual Earth to be inaccurate.  Your
example of a town out-to-sea is a good one.  I am especially troubled when a
location that has been accurately determined by a call to the GEO database
is allowed to be overwritten by a find on Virtual Earth which is different
and wrong.  If a location has "L" in the L column to indicate that it has
been looked-up in the GEO database, then when Virtual Earth finds it, there
should at least be a question whether the L should be changed to a V and the
Virtual Earth information allowed to replace the GEO database info.  The
same logic should probably apply when a GEO database lookup wants to
overwrite info from Virtual Earth.  Even if the user has hand-entered a
location's coordinates, that info should not be replaced automatically by a
Virtual Earth or GEO database lookup.

It would be very interesting to see a comparison of a locations list that is
all sync'ed with GEO database versus the same list sync'ed with Virtual
Earth and compute the difference in distance between the same locations.

Try doing a GEO database lookup on a location that already has V in column L
and see if you can get the program to put L in that column.

Last point on this mapping.  When the program does find a location and
identifies it on the map with a balloon...the point of the balloon should
indicate the coordinates and not the center of the balloon.  It would also
help to have the balloon be translucent so items it covers could be viewed.

Ron Taylor