On 22/10/2011 02:07, Ron Ferguson wrote:
> My locations vary enormously due to the nature of the way that
> English locations have developed since Watling Street in about 300AD
> (maybe a bit earlier), so they basically comprise:
>
> house name/number, Street, local district/town, (parish), (city),
> County, Country
>
> The brackets indicate a level which may or may not exist.

Mine are similar.

> The only difference for Short Locations is that I drop the country.
> However when I eventually get round to it I intend to change the
> counties from their full name to the abbreviated Chapman Codes (just
> the name for our system) eg. Lancashire will become LAN.

I usually try and keep Short Locations to 3 fields.  An address such as
house name or number, street, village/district, town/city, county,
country will be reduced to street, district or town, county abbreviated
to Chapman Code.

(Whether I use the village/district or town/city name in the Short
Location is slightly arbitrary but mainly depends on how big/well known
the smaller division is.)

--
Jenny M Benson