Mike

It is not a generalisation.  It certainly happened more in 19th with the
increased mobility but my family records and that of others for whom I have
researched show it in earlier periods. Military families are one example with
militia groups moving around the country. Not all baptisms are shown in the
parish records (unfortunately) as many have been either lost, never recorded
from the church record or made it to other records eg Bishops Transcripts for
Church of England. I have one ancestor who had 24 children from 2 marriages and
the youngest 4 from 1st marriage were eventually baptised with some of their
half siblings from the 2nd marriage when the family moved out of London and
back to the father's ancestral village. This is just one example.

Carol