On 5/31/2012 6:37 PM, William (Bill) R. Linhart wrote:
> Dave, thanks for your thoughts.
>
> I use several different image processing programs with my TIFs (20+
> MB) and I don't have any of the problems like I have with Legacy.  The
> Picasa desktop viewer is lightening fast with even my largest images.
>   That viewer presents thumbnails across the bottom of the screen
> (picture gallery) and works like a champ.  It works great for me.
> And, it is FREE.
>
> Legacy image processing has not kept up with the current standards
> recommended by conservation experts.  I recently attended a meeting of
> museum curators and the recommendation there was a minimum of 300 dpi
> minimum with 600 dpi recommended for document preservation.  The
> format recommended was TIF.  My 8 x 10 inch images at 300 dpi are
> about 20 MB in TIF.  This is the minimum standard recommended for
> museum curators to use for documents.  My original is larger than 8 x
> 10 but I downsized to 8 x 10 to try to get Legacy to work with it ...
> with out success.
>
> I understand your statement about photographs of group shots of
> people.  That is not my current challenge. In my case, these are
> reproductions of pages from a very large bible from 1873.  The
> handwriting is fading and not always easy to discern for transcription
> so I want all the detail preserved that is to be captured.
>
> I hope you understand that it is not slowness that I am concerned about.
>
> It is the problem that Legacy goes into an indefinite loop without any
> error handling.
>
> Last night I ran a test and reported it to Sherry.  I waited 40+
> minutes (at solid 35% CPU) for the loop to stop processing a 1-2 MB
> JPG  before I terminated the process.  That is not slowness.  That is
> a product defect.  Legacy is flawed.  If Legacy has a maximum image
> size supported, a warning message should tell the end user that the
> images they are attempting to link are large and not supported by
> Legacy.  I should not have to find this out by experimentation.  I
> lost many hours on this defect in Legacy.
>
> Legacy does not provide clear documentation ,that I can find, that
> says there is a maximum image size that is supported.  In fact, some
> may believe that since Legacy does not store images, size does not
> matter.   I looked at the website link Sherry provided.  I don't see
> the 200 KB maximum posted there.  Maybe Legacy did publish it but did
> not pop out at me.  I can't find in the manual or in the online help
> text either.   Picture gallery does work fine for just a few large
> images.  It is the number of images that seems to bother picture
> gallery, that is, the number of thumbnails it is trying to render and
> display.
>
> I like the other application features of Legacy so far.   I hope this
> defect gets fixed.
>
> Dave, I looked at your website ... looks like you have reached a very
> nice place in life ... God Speed.
>
> Bill

Just for the heck of it, I just added over 150MB .tif of photos with one
of them alone is 40MB.tif I added to Asa from the sample file.

I experienced *No* problem opening Legacy. It does so in less than five
seconds.

I also use a program called Fastone for viewing and modifing photos. It
has no problem with dozens of 10MB photos.

Before you start crying "Defect" or "Flaw" I would do some homework

Now, to take all the multimedia away from Asa and his wife :)

Tim Rosenlof
Utah, USA