From: JLB
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 12:39 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Organization of Photos, Scanned Documents and etc.

Photoshop Elements, IMO, is very good for editing photos.

The Organizer (the other half) is very poor. In particular in regards to
tagging. You can add keywords in the Organizer. And captions, I think.
Everything else (locations, copyright, source, object name and all the
other IPTC fields) can only be done one photo at a time through the File
Info window accessible only through the Editor. It's quite a nonsensical
arrangement. The mapping feature in the Organizer is also pathetic.
There's no batch-mode either.

I could go on for hours about how much I dislike it. I did use it many
years ago and tried a couple of trials since then hoping it had been
improved. It seemed to be the best there was until I found something
better. And I was so relieved to find something better.

Photo Mechanic, as well as GeoSetter and XnView can be used for adding
metadata as well as other functions that differ from one to the other;
the first two also handle GPS. GeoSetter is particularly good at that.

None of them is an 'organizer' per se. In other words, you're working on
the images wherever they already exist on your computer. Which is good
because if you move them around or rename them you can still find them.
(Another yuck point about APSE Organizer; it creates a linked catalog.)

XnView and GeoSetter are both free. Photo Mechanic is a free trial. I
would suggest trying all of them and having a look. Once you establish a
work flow with them or one or two of them you'll find what you prefer.
Try Photo Mechanic when you've got time to enjoy the trial. The others
don't matter since you can have them forever. XnView also has a portable
version if you're into PortableApps. http://portableapps.com/

About not linking files to Legacy - I did link them at one time. From
where I started to where I am now I probably moved or renamed files
about 20 times. By the time I got to 15,000 source citations with images
attached, relinking them to Legacy had gotten really tedious. One day I
knocked myself up the side of the head about my stupidity in that
regard. The filing system I use now makes it really easy to access files
anywhere and anytime in a variety of ways, generally quicker than I can
click through to them inside Legacy. Linking files to Legacy seems to me
a make-work project with zero benefits.

I link individual pictures because I like to print them out in reports.
But only one per person. If I really want to get serious with photos I
can easily search them and create things outside Legacy like collage or
focused PDFs. There are so many ways of being creative with images and I
really don't see Legacy being the place for it.

Of course, all data is extracted from each record and entered into
Legacy and sourced.
-----
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://jlog.jgen.ws/