It sounds like your computer is in big trouble in some mysterious way.
You could try TuneUp Utilities. http://www.tune-up.com/

A free trial is 30 days I think so you don't have to buy it.

The initial setup asks a lot of questions. It's not hard if you take it
one step at a time but it takes awhile. It will go through your
computer in depth and fix most problems. What I mean by 'most' is that
sometimes reinstalling your operating system is the last but only resort.

Instead of picking and guessing your way through one possibility at a
time TuneUp is like having a mechanic inside your computer.

If you want on-screen support I will work at an hourly rate. You can
contact me through email.
-----
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://jlog.jgen.ws/