You're right about the unsubscribing but since the final LUG rule of
etiquette requests that you temporarily unsubscribe when going away and
using an autoresponder I assumed that temporarily unsubscribing would
not be a problem. Had I realized the problem that it was going to cause
I would not have done it.

I have no idea what the problem is with gmail perhaps it is something in
my setup. It's not a major problem for me just an irritant.

David