Barbara,
Legacy 8 follows Windows Standards and installs to Program Files.
It has, however, not followed many programs and stored settings deep in your username AppData folders. It creates a folder in your Documents called Legacy Family Tree. This folder cannot be moved or renamed. If you do, it's simply recreated with default settings.
Inside this folder is one called _AppData which holds your Legacy settings.
It also has a Data folder which is the default Data folder but you can keep your data wherever you like. If you choose your own Data folder you change Options - Customise 6.1 (that's a new easy way to refer to customise options introduced in Legacy 8 instead of having to give a Tab number and try to describe where on the tab the option is). It also has a Media folder which is the default Media folder. Again you can keep your Media wherever you like and tell Legacy where that is at Options - Customise 6.2.

When you install Legacy 8 and choose to open a file, it asks whether you'd like to copy it to the default data folder and convert it there. If you are using Legacy 6 default folder, that's what you need to do.

Cathy

Barbara Ford wrote:

Good thoughts for consideration. I did purchase, and have regularly used, the charting program that was sold outside of Legacy 6. By default, where is the data stored in Legacy 8?