Sarah,
I've already given you the Support article on how to find a lost file.
Your file will be there.
You don't have to have Legacy at all to install Legacy 10. But if you have Legacy you convert your earlier Legacy database into Legacy 10 format. If you've been using Legacy, even a much earlier one, you can open your current database -when you find it OR use your latest Legacy data backup zip - you have been backing up haven't you? Here's the Support file again: <https://legacyfamilytree.com/help-center/?a=I-lost-my-family-file---id--K-I9BVL_R5SkFN6sY2Vaeg>

No you shouldn't reset your Laptop to an earlier time. Use the options in the Support article or open Windows File Explorer and search yourself for *.fdb files.

Cathy

sarah hughes <mailto:sarahl...@gmail.com>
Saturday, 15 June 2024 7:47 PM
But my problem is that I can't update to Legacy 10, because I don't have Legacy 9 to upgrade it from. Sure, I could install Legacy 10, but then I would still have no tree there. I could create a gedcom from my Genes reunited tree, but as someone said, gedcom is the last resort! I have an external hard-drive plugged into my laptop, so perhaps it might be on there. But if it's gone from the laptop, it will probably be gone from there too! Should I reset laptop to an earlier time and see if it reappears, perhaps? Thank you, Sarah

Linda G <mailto:llg...@gmail.com>
Saturday, 15 June 2024 3:36 AM
Legacy 10 has it's own big blue circle with a white "L.  Hover your mouse over the icon, if it reads Legacy 9, delete it. That one won't work. Since you updated, you no longer have Legacy 9 on your computer.  Go to Start, show all apps, scroll down to located the Legacy 10 icon.  At least, that was all that I had to do.  Then pinned it to Start and I dragged the icon to where I wanted it.

sarah hughes <mailto:sarahl...@gmail.com>
Saturday, 15 June 2024 2:31 AM
I have just opened my Legacy 9 from the task bar where I keep it attached, and to my horror my whole family tree has disappeared! All I get is that silly sample one, and I have gone through the list that Legacy gave me, but none of them come up with my tree. Even where I had it saved in my computer files, there are just 2 sample files of that other silly tree. Please help. as I need to upgrade to 10, but how can I when my tree has just disappeared from everywhere? I was only using it the other day! Would resetting my laptop to an earlier time help, please? It is Windows 11, and I had the free Legacy 9 edition.

Cathy Pinner <mailto:genea...@gmail.com>
Thursday, 13 June 2024 11:02 AM
Legacy 10 has been released and is free for everyone. It has all the Deluxe features for free. It has the same look and feel as Legacy 8 and 9. It has some new features and reports and tweaks to existing features and reports. The new features are listed on the renewed Legacy website. The full list is in this blog: <https://news.legacyfamilytree.com/legacy_news/2024/06/the-new-legacy-family-tree-10-is-here-and-its-all-free.html> It's advised to be running Windows 10 or Windows 11. Not all features are guaranteed to work on earlier Windows versions. Here's the things to do to make the process as trouble free as possible with some comments on where a few people out of the thousands who have updated have been encountering problems. Note it will overwrite Legacy 9. You can't run both versions as the settings are all locked to the same folder ...\Documents\Legacy Family Tree\_AppData\ folder 1. Run File > File Maintenance > check/repair on your files. You should be doing this regularly to keep your database healthy. 2. Verify that there are no broken media links. Tools>Media Relinker You can fix them in Legacy 10 but you need to know they weren't caused by the upgrade. 3. Backup your family file and media files. Preferably make sure you also have these backups off your computer either in a cloud or on external drive. 4. Download 10 from the website. Some people encounter problems because a) they make a typo when entering their email address, b) the email goes to spam or doesn't arrive. If it doesn't arrive try a different email address c) the link in the email doesn't work and they need to copy and paste the link to their browser. 5. Install 10 and enjoy. Some people encounter problems with the installation because their security software blocks it or part of it. Pausing the security software during installation solves that. If concerned you can go into Aeroplane mode/come offline for the installation. If there is any problem after installation RESTART your computer and it is usually solved. Have fun, Cathy