Hi,

On 09/23/2015 01:26 AM, Alex Barth wrote:
> This could be well done within the confines of the ODbL by endorsing the
> "Geocoding is Produced Work"
> guideline
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2014-July/007900.html

Frankly, even if I was of the opinion that it would be desirable for the
ODbL to not apply to geocoding, I don't think that "Geocoding is
Produced Work" could ever fly, legally, at least in countries that have
a sui generis database law.

I mean, nobody cares about a single on-the-fly geocoding result (this
easily falls under the "substantial" guideline) but if you repeatedly
query an ODbL database with the aim of retrieving from it, say, a
million lat-lon pairs to store in your own database, then how in the
world could this new database ever be *not* a derivative? Even if you
were to define a single geocoding result as a produced work, combining a
large number of them in a database would still get you a derived
database again.