On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Fidel N <fidelpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Edward, my only suggestion to the video you just made is:
> Please make more!!
>
> Perhaphs I already forgot what being a Leo Noob is all about, but I would
> say you dont need to make any "more noob friendly" videos, in my opinion
> this video is so straight forward a newbie will also understand whats
> happening (and learn quite fast too btw).

Thanks!  However, I think newbies should be shown at least the following:

- How to use the minibuffer.
- How to find and change text.
- How to create external files from @file.
- How to create documents with @rst.
- The parts of the Leo screen.

> I love the hotkeys being shown!! Is that camstasia or an ad
> itional software??

It's Camtasia.  A *great* program for Windows.  It's dead easy to add
callouts like hotkeys and the cool animated box around the log pane.

 About two of your most recent posts: Thank you for those photos, specially
> the quotes ones, very good.

Imo, they reflect the respect that any sensible resident of Midland has
for Herbert Dow.  And the have been inspiring to me personally.

> About the "vim AHA", I tried to understand what was happening there, but
> could not. I would love to find some day a "leo vim video" to illustrate
> what all that excitement means :)

Well, those were middle-of-the-night notes to myself.  You weren't
expected to understand ;-)

The screencast will happen as soon as vim mode works.  Maybe this week!
There is surprisingly little to do.  One of the "preliminary Aha's" was
that vim mode can borrow tons of user-interface stuff *and* code from Leo.

The central vim Aha is that we can have per-pane key-binding in vim mode,
just as in the rest of Leo.  Lots of implementation ideas clouded this fact.

For example, in vim mode j can mean next-line when focus is in the body
pane, *and* it can mean "select-next-visible' when focus is in the tree.
That's huge: it *doubles* the space of possibilities for vim-like
keystrokes.  I should have seen it ages ago.

The second vim aha is that we can (must!) bind vim key sequences to plain
Leo commands.  This opens up *all* Leo commands to vim's dot command.  It's
big.

Furthermore, one can imagine some vim key sequence that drops into the
minibuffer *and* remembers the result as part of the dot.  This will be
easy to do.

In short, we can easily imagine that Leo's vim mode will be substantially
more powerful and flexible than vim itself.

For consistency, we may want to have many bindings mean the same thing in
both the body pane and the outline pane, but that's optional.

Best of all, each of us can play with possibilities merely by changing the
@data nodes for vim mode.