I agree - Leo is probably way more than 100% feature-complete. It's also
been a tremendous comfort to me and my solo programming efforts over the
years.

However, Leo is still imprisoned in the
standalone-software-installed-on-desktop paradigm, and thus stuck in a
rapidly-disappearing era. The biggest problems I've had with Leo to date
have been:

   - Gaps in backward incompatibility - serious corruption and data loss
   issues when editing years-old Leo files, something which has tripped me up
   many times
   - Incompatibility with team environments - inability for more than one
   developer to work on files at once

I can't use Leo on my tablet or smartphone, unless I screenshare in to a
desktop running it. Unless the tablet is on a LAN near the desktop, and has
a 10" screen, this is unworkable.

*I would suggest that Leo's future lies in a complete rebuild, cloud from
the ground up. Firstly, a decent API into a cloud-based Leo engine.
Secondly, decent GUI clients on Web (Ember.JS? Pyjamas? AngularJS?) and
Android/iOS.*

The cloud-based paradigm, for me, would do away with the concept of a leo
"document". Instead, it would focus on a 'view', which may contain one or
more nodes. Nodes would exist outside of views, and be able to reference
other nodes recursively.

The APIs could then be supported by widgets in the main client-side
toolkits, to allow web apps to embed Leo editing widgets with ease.

Files are where it gets tricky. Non-Leo-users absolutely detest the Leo
sentinels. But updating a node tree to reflect changes in a file outside
Leo is a programming task beyond merely painful.

However, if Leo i smade to be as team-friendly as Google Docs (where you
can even see teammates' cursors in different colours moving around the
document), there will be virtually no need to edit files from outside the
Leo environment.

Again - desktop is dying. Leo *has* to go cloud!

Cheers
David