On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 8:17 PM, David McNab <davidmcna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree - Leo is probably way more than 100% feature-complete. It's also
> been a tremendous comfort to me and my solo programming efforts over the
> years.

​Glad to hear it.​

However, Leo is still imprisoned in the
> standalone-software-installed-on-desktop paradigm, and thus stuck in a
> rapidly-disappearing era.

​Yes, web-based services are increasingly important, but unless I am
greatly mistaken most programmers still use laptop and desktop computers
and Emacs, vim, Eclipse and the like.

I don't see that changing anytime soon, and if it does change it will
likely be the result of tools that don't yet exist.  Furthermore, security
problems are troubling with any web-based tool.

The biggest problems I've had with Leo to date have been:

>    - Gaps in backward incompatibility - serious corruption and data loss
>    issues when editing years-old Leo files, something which has tripped me up
>    many times
>
> ​The work around is to use the old versions of Leo to recover the data,
then copy and paste to a newer version of Leo.  I have no plans to retrofit
any further backward compatibility code.​

> Incompatibility with team environments - inability for more than one
> developer to work on files at once
> I can't use Leo on my tablet or smartphone, unless I screenshare in to a
> desktop running it. Unless the tablet is on a LAN near the desktop, and has
> a 10" screen, this is unworkable.

​Supporting tablets or smartphones requires support for Python and PyQt on
those platforms.  Iirc,  Ville created a Leo reader for Android, but I
could be mistaken

> *I would suggest that Leo's future lies in a complete rebuild, cloud from
> the ground up. Firstly, a decent API into a cloud-based Leo engine.
> Secondly, decent GUI clients on Web (Ember.JS? Pyjamas? AngularJS?) and
> Android/iOS.*

​What to say about this...

Perhaps the best analogy for this kind of product is the split of IPython
into the Jupyter project: https://jupyter.org/

The IPython/Jupyter project is one of the most successful Python project in
existence.  It has received millions of dollars of research funding over
the years, including a large recent grant of over $6 million, iirc.

There is a huge amount of engineering in this project--far beyond my
ability.  In particular, I call your attention to the security model.  It's
crucial for this project, and it's crucial that it be absolutely solid.  I
am not in a position to undertake any kind of security-related code.

In theory, one could imaging forking IPython/Jupyter into a Leo-centric
project, but forking other people's projects seldom ends well.  And I don't
have any energy for this.

Alternatively, one could imagine trying to convince the Fernando Perez to
add Leonine feature to Jupyter, but I would not be interested if I were he
:-)  There's too little overlap of purposes.

The cloud-based paradigm, for me, would do away with the concept of a leo
> "document". Instead, it would focus on a 'view', which may contain one or
> more nodes. Nodes would exist outside of views, and be able to reference
> other nodes recursively.

​Not a bad idea, but I have no magic wand to make it happen.​

The APIs could then be supported by widgets in the main client-side
> toolkits, to allow web apps to embed Leo editing widgets with ease.
>
> Files are where it gets tricky. Non-Leo-users absolutely detest the Leo
> sentinels. But updating a node tree to reflect changes in a file outside
> Leo is a programming task beyond merely painful.

​And other people's files are what make security so important.​

​Weren't you the one who pointed this out years ago?  Or maybe it was Paul
Patterson.
​

> However, if Leo is
> ​ ​
> made to be as team-friendly as Google Docs (where you can even see
> teammates' cursors in different colours moving around the document), there
> will be virtually no need to edit files from outside the Leo environment.

Again - desktop is dying. Leo *has* to go cloud!

​Desktops aren't dead yet, and won't likely fade away until well after I
personally am gone.

I will consider porting Leo in the cloud when easy to use tools for doing
so exists.  I don't believe I will long enough to move Leo to the cloud
with the existing tools.