> Does this vision match yours? Here are some initial thoughts.

My thoughts, which include a lot of groundless assumptions about how
Jupyter works, would be that we have a new node type:

@jupyter jupt://127.0.0.1:8123/some/jupyter/protocol/thing

or possibly just

@jupyter short_name

with connection details in the body

For some reason I think Jupyter calls its input/output units "cells",
although I'm not sure if that's right, but I'll call them that.  Also
I'm not really sure if we're talking about IPython or Jupyter, although
I think Jupyter is probably correct.  So, on that really shaky footing:

jupyter-read-all - replace all nodes under the @jupyter node with content
  from the jupyter server
jupyter-write-all - write all nodes to the jupyter server
jupyter-execute-all - execute all nodes (cells) to the jupyter server
jupyter-read-node - single node version
jupyter-write-node - single node version
jupyter-execute-node - single node version

Hopefully Jupyter cells have some sort of invariant ID we can use to
manage things.

Jupyter's cells seem to be comprised of a plain text part, the input,
which will be the Leo node body, and a rendered result, which is HTML.
So nothing tricky here, we can just show the HTML, viewrendered and
leo_edit_pane both support that.

The rendered result part of the cell could be stored on
the node transiently (p.v._jupyter_html) or persistently
(p.v.u['jupyter']['html']).

The above just acts as an interface to Jupyter.  I think moving actual
data into and out of Leo will be doable via JSON, but I'd make that
stage 2.

Notably absent - .ipynb files.

That's the approach I'd take.