On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 6:30:14 AM UTC+11, Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

> Hello Lewis,
>
> VR> My feedback focuses on Leo in a Windows environment ...
>
   Lewis> Same here. I do have a plan to get a new laptop with FreeBSD
running Leo. Another day.....

> I have come to the conclusion that guiding users towards using *pip* is
>> the best method. The main reasons being that it installs PyQt5 plus other
>> dependencies easily and it interacts well with Git.
>>

> VR> I guess, it's not a surprise that I do agree with your conclusion ;-)
>
> I also came to the view that it's not a good idea to recommend Miniconda
>> as a solution for new users installing Leo. There is no direct easy install
>> path as *conda install leo* currently doesn't work. Using pip achieves the
>> same results for all required packages.
>> I understand this is a matter of preference. Ditto for Anaconda.
>>

> VR> I can't comment, as I've not spent any time analyzing Anaconda and/or
> Miniconda.
>
    Lewis>   I haven't used Anaconda/Miniconda either. I am relying on the
experiences of others in the linked discussions.

> In summary, the Install Guide says:
>> 1. Install Python
>>

> VR> Which assumptions are you making w.r.t. to Python having being added
> to PATH?
>
    Lewis>  I haven't made any assumptions. Thanks for noticing that
critical point.
   * I will add a note to recommend windows users "ensure you select the
box [ ] 'Add Python 3.6 to PATH' option"

> 2. Install Leo with pip
>>

> VR> Are you aware about the recent additions Matt has put into the
> installation of Leo via pip?
> VR> A simple "pip install leo" takes care about all/ most dependencies for
> a Leo user, i.e. no need to install PyQt, docutils, sphinx, etc separately
>
    Lewis>  Yes, Matt has been making so much progress with pip, I have
been waiting until v5.7 before testing :)
                 I do intend to test it out again, from scratch, and
document the experience. The last time I used pip to install was in a
virtual environment; when PyPi listed Leo 5.3 and installed Leo 5.0b2.
                I'm quite unfamiliar about pip w.r.t. Linux. Is pip
redundant given various Linux or Debian package managers?

> VR> - One question however to approach you have chosen in your update: Why
> do you specifically refer to "launchLeo.py" - and - do not use the script
> "leo" or "leoc" which are available, when Leo is installed via pip?
>

    Lewis>  Simply because I'm used to using "launchLeo.py". It is a
somewhat longwinded startup.
    * I will familiarise myself with the "leo" or "leoc" scripts, and try
to include them in the install guide. I'm very wary of introducing too many
customisations to a new user, when all they want to do do        is start
Leo up!  It makes a *lot* of sense to me that "leo" *should start Leo*.
Customisation should not be required.
      Matt and Viktor - can you provide some code for this if required?

> VR> Thanks for creating this update. - It's a very good base to document
> the installation improvements, that we hopefully will see in Leo 5.7!
>
   Lewis> It's a pleasure. I do see it as a base and am most thankful for
your suggestions. Once it has been edited, reviewed and tested many times,
It should be ready for v5.7

Regards
Lewis