Using Electron allows reading and writing local files much easier then from
browser. Accessing local file system can be done through python back-end,
but it would add a lot of complicated inter-process communication (which
need to be tested, debugged,...) instead of directly reading and writing to
local file system.

The other advantage of using Electron is that programmer doesn't need to
check browser version and to deal with lot of browser compatibility issues.

The disadvantage of using Electron is download size it brings in (~ 50M),
but I believe it would be a small price to pay for the benefits and
flexibility it provides.

Vitalije