@arjan Yep, it wont work with python2, but I can assure you nodejs does not
install nor bundle python2 with itself!. Also what version of Leo and
python do you have? I made all run under leo 6.0 final (installed from
sources git clone --depth=500 https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor) and
python 3.7.4
I'm asking this because you're getting "Error importing leoApp.py" as your
main error message and it's bugging out in initLeo, which is internal to
leo, so i'm wondering what Leo version its using...

@Edward (on windows) those modified 'package' files are getting small
modifications when doing 'npm install' because of versions of dependencies
getting updates.( Something I overlooked in my explanations. )
 Solution : Revert those files to their original states before doing "git
pull" so that git lets you apply updates you pulled... either with "git
checkout <file>" in terminal, or throught the git panel of vscode (or your
personal/favorite way of reverting a modified file in a gitted project
folder) ... or even just wipe and re-clone from scratch but thats a bit
radical ;)

@Edward (on ubuntu) thats strange, so far running on ubuntu has been the
way that worked 'out of the box'. ...and you're not  getting any errors in
the debug console of the original vscode window? is "python3" the way to
invoke it on your install of ubuntu?

@matt : i'm not that familiar with the python world in general and all that
anaconda stuff is chineese to me... sorry... i'll try to catch up !

*To all testing : I am so very gratefull!!!* For windows, it seems That I
need to do a much better job at figuring out a reliable way to invoke the
'leobridge.py' script of the leoInteg expansion by making sure that I get a
hold of the path to launch with a valid python3 instance on the user's
computer! (Because when the leoInteg expansion succeeds in finding valid
python3 & leo6.0 it does indeed work)

(I might also try to figure if I can check that leo '6.0' is installed and
reachable before trying to start anything )

So I'm making myself a pot of coffee and will be working on this throughout
the 3 day weekend to make it work reliably in at least those 2 OS's! I want
to make sure anyone can 'easily' install and run this on linux&windows
before adding "REAL" Leo Features ;)

My windows 10 software versions are :
vscode 1.39.1
node 10.16.3
python 3.7.4
leo 6.0 final (installed from git clone)
qt5 installed with "pip3 install PyQt5"

standard 'vanilla' versions of everything... sensibly the same as under my
working ubuntu setup i guess...

I'll post updates as I go along and figure stuff out - Please do the same
if you're so inclined!

A sincere thanks for your time and effort in helping me sorting this stuff
out you guys!
--
Félix