Thanks much Matt and Thomas.  I have many pages of notes on this, and as I
looked at some notes from 2-3 years ago most of them lack clarity, though
some are better than others.  One approach I thought I might take is to
'narrate' a work session with my envisioned program. Describe what I am
wanting to do, how search and navigation plays out, what does a 'standard
zettle' do and not do, etc.  The steps I take and how the software
responds, what I see happening.  That might bring me about as close as I
can get without a working software.  Might be better than just trying to
list desirable features, which I have done a lot of. Some of my past notes
are so vague that I hardly understand now what I was trying to say! But I
think my ideas have slowly gotten clearer in the past couple of years, but
I have yet to spell it out clearly in nouns and verbs.  iow I think it's
clearer in my mind, but not yet in text.  I'll see what I can do but it's
going to take some time. What should I do once I get something written?
Post it in this same thread (which is getting long)?  I'll just do it in a
plain text file, since I don't know any markdown/up anyway.
Thomas, sorry for my ignorance but what do I need to do to view your HTML
file rendered?  I can dig out the text as is, but rendering it would make
it a lot easier.  I'm not HTML literate.

Thanks for your gentle and patient assistance.
Andy