On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 11:13:24 AM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:

> On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 9:07:09 AM UTC-5, Thomas Passin wrote:
>>

>> We've got that by means of the Leo outline structure.  The proximity and
>> nesting of the Leo nodes fills exactly the same function.
>>

> Somehow I don't see it as quite the same thing.  The outline structure is
> hierarchical while the numbered thread structure, while it does represent
> ordered sequence, does not necessarily imply hierarchy (although it can).
> But the other aspect that I see as different (and a necessary difference)
> is that outline headings are categories or topics, while thought sequences
> are another sort of thing.  A thought may be an observation, a viewpoint,
> an opinion, a deduction, a question. I might think of it as more of a
> process than a topic, although it will always have a topic. We will have
> entire sequences of thoughts on one topic, and topic-wise, we do indeed
> need the outline structure, which I consider a top-down function.
>
> But the sequences of thoughts, and their branches and connections do not,
> to me, closely resemble a hierarchically arranged set of topics. They can
> indeed be, and should be, classed within such a structure, but it appears
> to me that allowing them only a topic-based structure might break the
> dynamic of the sequenced thread of thought.  This forum thread is an
> example of a sequenced thread of thought that would be difficult, I think,
> to represent as a hierarchical outline of headings. Sub-topics topics could
> indeed be identified, and we could build an outline structure of those
> sub-topics (in fact it would likely be helpful to do so), yet that
> structure would not, I think, reflect or adequately (though it could to a
> degree) illuminate the sequential thought processes that develops through
> this thread.  A thought thread or 'train of thought' is a sequential,
> ordered process, not just an organization of topics.  Just my viewpoint for
> what it's worth.
>
>> [snip]

Here's where   I have the advantage over your, because of the work I did to
come up with my bookmarks manager.  My bookmarks are arranged in folders
and subfolders.  What I had to understand is that this arrangement is not
really a strict hierarchy, and that it's not necessarily frozen for all
time.  The way in which the organizing headings are arrived at isn't even
consistent or even logical over time.  But the headings had some useful
meaning at the time.  Also, like you, I didn't want to spend time agonizing
over where something should go, I just wanted to be able to find it later.
There's more on this in the paper, to which you already have a link.

That's why the outline structure shouldn't really be considered a strict
hierarchy, and why there's a need for more than one kind of view.

But I stand by my claim that the outline has implicit links - child and
subordinate links - that map exactly to Luhmann's numbering system.   Go
ahead, sketch out a few zettels based on his system.  The slips are linked
by the numbers.  They are what's called isomorphic.