On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 9:39:07 AM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:

> On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 8:57:30 AM UTC-5, Thomas Passin wrote:
>>

>> On Sunday, March 1, 2020 at 10:54:59 PM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:
>>>
>>> And already I see that I could use a command to slap a UID into an
>>> already existing zettel that doesn't yet have one.
>>>

>> Creating your own unique identifiers can be hard.
>>

> Yes, I do not contemplate writing my own UIDs. I realize that UIDs belong
> to Leo, not to me. I meant that if I have an existing node, OR, a section
> of a file, that has not yet become a zettel in the system, with UID, I need
> a direct, quick way to accomplish that.
>

>> My own plan for this kind of thing is to take the text that I want to
>> split up into zettels and go through it a section at a time.  For each
>> section, make a new zettel in Leo.
>>

> How do you go about making a section of text a zettel? Copy paste it into
> the body of an already created (with UID) empty (i.e. no body as yet)
> zettel? That's ok for a few, but I will have large numbers of them.

Here's an example of one way I've done this in the past.  It's been very
effective.  The parser is simple.  I used this format to index the file for
a full text search engine (Lucene).  I like the format because it is easy
to type, easy to read, and easy to parse.  Note that this is an actual
fragment from one of my files - it's not made up for this post.

[Get or find computer-unique computer-specific id identifier] 2007-04-17

Find or get an identifier (hostid or host id) unique to a specific computer.

Windows: vol <drive> gives the drive serial number.
[e:\]vol c:
 Volume in drive C is unlabeled      Serial number is 2839:BCC4

Windows: ipconfig /all gives the network adapter address, in a line
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-9B-D8-31

Linux: /sbin/ifconfig | grep HWaddr returns a line with the network adapter

[Run Java app as service] 2007-04-12

For running java apps as services on Windows or *nix
Java Service Wrapper
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/introduction.html

It is open source, with an MIT license.

Jetty comes with source code to implement a Windows wrapper that uses Java
Service Wrapper.

The line of "=" characters marks a section break, the text in brackets
becomes the title, and the date speaks for itself.  The number of "="
characters in a line doesn't matter as long as 1) the line starts with an
"=" and 2) there are at least some minimum number of them.

As I see it, when you want to convert one of your text files to
zettel-hood, you would go through the file and add these section breaks as
you go.  Then paste the entire thing into a Leo node (or import the file
into a node), hit a hot key, and the system would split out all your
zettels, in order, with the titles as the headlines.  They'd all be at the
same level of indentation.  After that, you could move them into the ZK,
add organizing zettels, link them, add citations, etc to your heart's
delight.

Does that sound like it would work for you?