I should probably have started with a summary of what VR3 is all about.
Here it is.

VR3 is a re-implementation of my minor enhancement of viewrendered2 (to be
called "VR2+").  This was needed because VR2 was written for QT4 and didn't
work with QT5.  Edward (@ekr) updated viewrendered to work with QT5, and I
undertook to redo VR2+ for QT5.  Of course, I reused all of the new VR
except for the enhancements, which I mostly modeled on VR2+.  I have also
added a few more enhancements.

Here's a summary of the enhancements:

1. The RsT enhancements have been applied to MD blocks as well.

2. A node can have any number of @language python blocks mixed in with
@language rst/md blocks. (but you can't mix and match - it's either md or
rst in any one node).  Code blocks are colorized.

3. The language-specific block designators still work, such as code fences
in MD.

4. An entire subtree can be rendered if desired.

5.  Mathjax can be rendered.

6. You can use RsT (or MD) in a docstring and it will be treated as literal
text, not Rst.

7. You can display the code only in a node or tree.

8. You can execute the python code in a node or subtree.  Any print()
output will be inserted below the rendered node.

9.  You can display a subtree while you are editing a single node of that
tree.

10.  You can specify by a menu selection whether RsT, MD, or plain text
should be the default.  This does not override an @language directive in
the headline.  It applies when a node doesn't have an @language directive
in the headline.

11. You can export the rendering as HTML to the system browser.