The VR3 plugin can display the diagram outputs.  It wouldn't update
automatically when you made a change - you would have to refresh the plugin
view to see that changed image.

It *may* be possible to get mermaid to run in a panel inside Leo.  It could
be launched using graal, and Leo can be made to display what is basically a
Chrome browser in a panel or a free floating frame - see

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/leo-editor/hweJvjeYiEM.

The development might take some time, and just viewing the output images in
VR3 might be all you really need.