Now that I've looked at mermaid a little more, I think that you could write
the mermaid diagram syntax in a Leo node - since it's just text - ,and then
run Mermaid on it using the command line version of mermaid.  If I'm right
about this, I would be willing to try adding an @mermaid node type to
viewrendered3 if you decide that Leo is promising enough for your project.
It looks like it might be something that I'd like using myself.