I have been able to coerce VR3 into configurations like you described.  To
do it, I had to use the splitter bar context menu item toggle split
direction/just this. Once in one of these other configurations, VR3 would
toggle on and off in a consistent location, but when it was off the pane
arrangement might jump into the previous configuration - this might not be
what anyone wants.  I'm not sure if VR3 can do anything about this since it
is basically a layout matter, and I'm not even sure it's actually wrong.

At any rate, I have handled it by getting Leo - with VR3 off - into my
preferred layout with the body pane right and the outline and Tabs panes
sharing the left column.  Then I saved this layout as body-pane-right using
the splitter context menu.  No matter what unusual situation I get the
layouts into, I have (so far) always been able to restore what I want by
vr3-use-default-layout command.

You could also save another layout named, say, vr3-right after you get the
layout with VR3 that you like, and restoring that should always work.