Chris Staub wrote:
sash wrote:
Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

Part of the problem, too, is that many of them *just don't read*. The answers to the questions they ask are right there in the book.

Yes, they are right there in the book and they are written by geeks who don't appear to have the ability to write for a normal reader who likes to learn. The written instructions often don't make sense until you've already done it. And, the people who write them have done the things hundreds of times, so for them it's old hat.

I think it's too easy to say "Well people don't understand it because it's written in a way that's too technical". Yes, that may sometimes be the case. However, there are also times when people trying to build using the book really JUST DON'T READ IT. And yes, I do understand what you said below about the difference between "reading" and "understanding" - I'm talking about just plain "reading" - some people just don't bother. And some do read, but don't understand because they lack the basic knowledge (like stuff that's mentioned in the suggested pre-reading). There certainly are times when stuff is written in a way that is actually difficult for non-experts to understand, but you do have to keep in mind that this is not the explanation for every instance where someone has comprehension problems.

Also, if you believe that there are parts of the book that are "written by geeks" and are too difficult for a non-expert to understand, please specify which parts and suggest alternate wording.