Archaic wrote:

>If one is to follow the LFS book, one must have devices present prior to
>installing the MBR. That alone is reason to sort out this problem. We
>used mount --bind before. Perhaps it is time to bring it back.

I agree with that.

> But any and all post-LFS package building is irrelevant in this context.

Not really, as bruce said he builds openssl/openssh in the chroot, I do
also along with a whole system sometimes. openssh requires urandom
and/or random in /dev for creating the keys. But you are half right
because by the time anyone would get this far they *should* have already
installed the grub mbr which requires the proper nodes in /dev such as
[h,s]d[a-z]#.