George Boudreau wrote:
>    I agree with Greg, Pacman is superior to Slackwares Pkgtools and does
> not depend on a quirk only available in tar <= 1.13..

Could you please explain in more detail? According to
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/source/a/tar/tar.SlackBuild,

the quirk is:

# This old version is the only one that won't clobber synlinks, e.g.:
# someone moves /opt to /usr/opt and makes a symlink.  With newer
# versions of tar, installing any new package will remove the /opt
# symlink and plop down a new directory there.
# Well, there's a lot of other bugs (the remote stuff particularly I'm
# told is flaky) in tar-1.13, so it'll only be here now for use by the
# Slackware package utils.  And, we'll even let people remove it and
# the pkgutils will still try to work (but eventually they'll pay the
# price :)

But IMHO, making such symlinks means shooting oneself in the foot,
because there are disk space management solutions (e.g. ext3 on LVM2)
that are superior to plain old partitions (i.e., allow online resizing).
So the above reason is not valid enough for me. Or do you mean another
quirk?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov