On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 03:41:52PM +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:
> was spot on.  Note also that neither fedora-6 nor ubuntu-7 would have
> anything to do with this box.  So I'm impressed.  (and I'd like to see
> instructions for loading the precompiled image onto the HD and making
> it bootable - I can do it, but then...)

Glad to hear it. There are a few ways to do this and there are even
hints about it, IIRC. The latest fun allows for booting the iso as a
file existing on an internal HD or USB disk. Thank Alexander for that
one. Should the livecd archives show up on Gmane, you'll see a post
about it there from about a month ago.

> A package manager doesn't absolve you from regression testing.  It just
> makes it easier to get the thing built.  The Live CD, almost more than
> the Book, needs to work for a big proportion of those that try it.

Noted and agreed.

> If you use some little odd-ball PM, rather than, say RPM you will end
> up spending more development effort on the PM than on the LiveCD.
> Frankly, I think we should have a PM in LFS, indeed it MIGHT be
> good to build LFS as a distribution - so that you end up, not with a
> partition to boot, but with an LiveCD that has an Install application.

There are neat things about RPM, and it is very widely used. But, GRRR!,
getting it to play nicely can be painful.

> Can't use LiveCD list, it's not on gmane.  Let's try and get it on
> gmane, shall we?  The arch-hives are the important thing.

Request made. Bee on the lookout. ;)

--
JH