Greg Schafer wrote:
> Ryan Oliver wrote:
>

>> The sysroot build is "misused" in pretty much the same way the original
>> native plfs toolchain was "misused".
>>

> Just another data point for the record.
>
> Here, a senior toolchain person confirms how sysroot is meant to be used
> (read the whole bug report for context):
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-binutils/2007-08/msg00110.html
>
> I quote:
>
>  "You should use --prefix=/usr and install it with install_root=${sysroot}.
>   The whole point of the sysroot feature is that it establishes a chroot
>   style environment."

We all know what sysroot is for.

All sysroot does is shift the search paths underneath the sysroot, no
more, no less.

If you install with prefix != to usr you need to do the same mods we do
with LFS native toolchains.

Bug writer had no clue (ie: the need to perform a DESTDIR install into
sysroot)

Come back with a proven technical reason, one that cannot also be
equally applied to plfs or DIY.
> Note, the "chroot style environment" that he's referring to is the
> equivalent of LFS Ch 6, not Ch 5.
>
> I stand by my claim that you're abusing the sysroot option and setting a
> very poor example of its use.
>
> Sidenote: Now that some toolchain devs are apparently using *native*
> sysroot builds, there is a temptation to pursue a whole new build method
> that bypasses most of Ch 5. However, we would most certainly lose a lot of
> the advantages of the current 2-phase approach, so gut instinct tells me
> this won't be viable. Obviously, ICA verification would be *critical* to
> such a build method.

See clfs sysroot for a 1 pass build. If you want one for native builds,
can post it.

Best Regards
[R]