On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM, James Robertson <jwro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to discuss the direction of LFS with respect to where upstream
>> developers appear to be going.
>>
>> Currently we use sysvinit and udev as the basis of bringing up LFS.  We
>> do not use an initd/initramfs or systemd.
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/InitrdReplacementOptions
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd
>

> +1
>
> I'm with Nathan and Jeremy.  As a long time LFSer, I would like to see us go
> towards having our readers create an initramfs (not the older initrd).  The
> educational value is very high here.  If we go this route, we should
> probably update the kernel compilation instructions to help users go more
> module driven kernels than static.  I have been module only with initrd for
> some time out on my builds.

Actually when I posted, I was more on the "prefer no initramfs" side.
But reading these last few threads there seems to be a lot of interest
in such a setup.

If we do support it, I would also like an option for initramless setups as well.

How well would it sit in BLFS in the post LFS section?

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html
>>
> -1
>
> I don't think we are ready for this.  I think that sysvinit is just fine for
> our needs.  Many distros still go that way.  I think the systemd devs have
> some good ideas, but its not for LFS IMO.
>
>> ----------
>>
>> There appears appears to be a movement to consolidate /bin and /usr/bin,
>> /lib and /usr/lib, and /sbin and /usr/sbin.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>

> +1
>
> I have been doing this since LFS 5 - LOL.  I never understood the need.  I
> install to / and symlink the /usr to /.
>
> I think Nathan and I started on the same version of LFS 3.3.  Keep up the
> good work guys!
>
> -- James
>
> --

Nathan Coulson (conathan)