On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Zachary Kotlarek <z...@kotlarek.com> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Nathan Coulson wrote:
>
>> If we do support it, I would also like an option for initramless setups as
>> well.
>

> To what end? I don't mean to be argumentative, but I really don't see why
> people see a non-initramfs boot as an important or useful goal. What
> features/benefits does it provide, other than you don't have to run cpio one
> time when building your system?
>
>        Zach

simplicity, mostly.  Just never felt like something I needed for a
fully working Linux System.  I've done usb/raid booting without it,
only use case I ever had was for bootable cd's.  (and it sounds like
LVM needs it as well).  In fact, the last bootable cd I used, I just
used /dev/sr0 (which could break easly).  Every time I have done a
initrd, has been a special case and never my main LFS System.

I have built a few initrd/initramfs systems over the ages, tinkering
and learning.  Usually I setup a very basic /sbin/init script that
sets itself up, mounts root in /mnt/root, then switches over to it.
(Most of my initrd/initramfs's were pre udev).

I really like that one I did a couple months ago.  There was a kernel
option for mounting something on /dev that came with entries
(devtmpfs).  kept things simple (rootonly system I put together.
Forget what it was for now...).

They always felt like I was building a mini lfs system, where it's
sole purpose was to boot the main lfs system.  Duplication of work.  I
frequently recompile my kernel as well.  It's easier to keep track of
one component, as opposed to 2.

Changing my opinion a bit,  one feature that I have been missing is
the ability to mount based on UUID instead of the partition.  Just
came to me as I was writing this.  Would be great for dynamic devices
that could change on the fly (and what I use for everything except for
my root partition).

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------