Nathan Coulson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM, James Robertson <jwro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm with Nathan and Jeremy.  As a long time LFSer, I would like to see us go
>> towards having our readers create an initramfs (not the older initrd).  The
>> educational value is very high here.  If we go this route, we should
>> probably update the kernel compilation instructions to help users go more
>> module driven kernels than static.  I have been module only with initrd for
>> some time out on my builds.
>
> Actually when I posted, I was more on the "prefer no initramfs" side.
> But reading these last few threads there seems to be a lot of interest
> in such a setup.
>
> If we do support it, I would also like an option for initramless setups as
> well.

I agree.  To me, an initramfs seems to be much more useful for a desktop
system than a server.  A well designed server does not really need X and
the boot script requirement is relatively minimal and can start in about
15 seconds.

I can see where a server admin might want to use sw raid, so it should
be available to those users.

> How well would it sit in BLFS in the post LFS section?

I was wondering about that myself.  Perhaps BLFS is the right place for
it.  If wanted, it could later be promoted to LFS later, but I think a
little settling time in BLFS would be useful.

I've been looking at dracut:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dracut

It is a set of bash (not sh) scripts that create an initramfs image.
I'm going to have to explore it a bit more, but it looks promising.

   -- Bruce