Alice Wonder wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 03:06 +0100, Armin K. wrote:
>

>> It is. Package ships *.la file that depends on another *.la file which
>> no package ships that the former one depends on. Packaging error.
>
> Indeed, Fedora quite some time ago stopped shipping libtool .la files
> because of how frequently they were flat out wrong and the dependency
> issues they caused.
>
> To be honest life is just fine without them. pkgconfig does a better job
> at the same thing.
>
> I hope I wasn't going off-topic on the point, but .la files are fragile
> and cause issues especially when you are doing fancy stuff like using a
> DESTDIR option to make install.
>
> For LFS where you typically are building locally they probably are fine
> but for package managers, they should not be packaged and pkgconfig
> should be used instead.

You are right about all of this, but the .la files are created and
installed by the upstream make files.  They have to be manually removed
periodically.

Unfortunately, at least one program (gstreamer IIRC) uses .la files at
run time to dynamically load modules.  That complicates the process of
removing them.

   -- Bruce