On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 06:57:48PM -0500, Wit wrote:

> Another thought just occurred to me. Long ago and in a strange far away
> land, there used to be some offset limits (1044 cyls?) that the initial
> boot loaders could access. In my set up, I have a boot partition as the
> first partition on the HD. About 100 cyliners or so. This lets the
> initial stages load the stages that can access the full span of the HD,
> IIRC, as well as the FS-aware pieces.

 I think the limit was 1024 cyls, on _very_old_ versions of lilo.
My box with grub has /boot as the 15th partition (the inside of the
disk, so it's the slow part, only accessed when booting or storing a
new kernel).  So, I doubt it is the problem here.

 Unfortunately, I don't have any useful suggestions for the problem.

ĸen