Theo Schneider wrote:
> David Goss schrieb:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When booting my lfs installation, I get the following errors:
>>
>> swapon: cannot stat dev/sda3: no such file or directory
>> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4
>>
>> I suspect this is due to my grub configuration.  Rather than installing
>> grub, I added these lines to menu.lst on my host system:
>>
>> title LFS 6.3
>> root (hd0,3)
>> kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/hda4
>>
>> Here is what my harddisk looks like:
>>
>> sda1 = NTFS
>> sda2 = Ubuntu
>> sda3 = swap
>> sda4 = LFS
>>

>> I will confess that understanding the bootscripts was the part where I
>> had the most trouble understanding what was going on.  I will need to go
>> back and reread that chapter, but in the mean time I'd obviously like to
>> make this thing bootable so actually see hands on how the booting
>> process works.
>>
>> -David
>>

> Hi David,
>
> is it an typo? in grub you write /dev/hda4, but in harddisk you write sda4?
>
> What version of udev you use?
>
> mfg
> Theo

Yes, that is a typo; it should be sda4.  I checked the thread that
Tobias suggested; that is the exact problem I am having.  I used
udev-113 with the udev-config-6.3 package.

lspci outputs:

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE
Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller
(rev 02)

I assume the first device is my DVD/CDRW, so the other must be my
harddisk.  Based on this, should I build the "Intel ESB, ICH... [etc]
support" module into my kernel and rebuild it?

-David