Tobias Gasser wrote:
>> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE
>> Controller (rev 02)
>> 00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller
>> (rev 02)
>>
>> I assume the first device is my DVD/CDRW, so the other must be my
>> harddisk.  Based on this, should I build the "Intel ESB, ICH... [etc]
>> support" module into my kernel and rebuild it?
>>

> exactly.
>
> to access your cd/dvd activate "intel pata mpiix" too.
>

> tobias

I recompiled the kernel, but the problem persists.  This is the exact error:

Root-FFS: No NFS server available, giving up
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda4" or unknown-block(2,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions
0300 156290904 hda driver: ide-disk
0301 102398278 hda1
0302   29294527 hda2
0303       979965 hda3
0304   23615550 hda4
1600     4194302 hdc driver: ide-cdrom
Kernel panic -not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(2,0)

For the sake of completeness, my grub entry is:

title LFS 6.3
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/sda4

I just double checked with gparted to make sure lfs is indeed on sda4,
and it is.  I also checked my kernel configuration and I did indeed
rebuild it with the proper modules.  I also double checked the
timestamps of the bzImage in the source tree and the kernel image in
/boot to make sure that I didn't forget to copy it after it was
compiled.  I'm clearly overlooking something, but I'm not sure what.

-David