On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Howard_apfc6 wrote:
>  > - Seems like the ultimate build platform for newbs.
>
>  That's exactly what I am against. LiveCD users create 90% of support
> requests.
>  Noobs (not to be confused with newbs) should be filtered out, e.g., by
> telling
>  them to install and configure a real distro.
>
>  Besides, the LFS LiveCD has no real technical benefits as a host, except
> that it
>  is preconfigured and already contains the packages - but why not download
> them
>  separately in a town with a broadband connection, put onto a flash drive, and
>  use with your current Linux distro?

If it boots for you, then it is a perfectly adequate host with all the
necessary tools and sources preinstalled. It's a single download for
_all_ the prerequisites for LFS. Why is that a bad thing?

>  In short, LFS website misadvertises the LiveCD as a "well-tested platform"
>  (nwebs confuse this with the "best platform"), while if one has a distro
>  installed, it should work just as well!

That advertisement is completely accurate. You're running a current
LFS build which is well tested because everyone here is running
roughly the same thing and it's working. If someone wants to interpret
that message as "best platform" or "only platform", there's not much
anyone here can do except try to make the message clearer that it's
only one possible platform to use.

--
Dan