> > - Seems like the ultimate build platform for newbs.
>
> That's exactly what I am against. LiveCD users create 90% of support requests.
> Noobs (not to be confused with newbs) should be filtered out, e.g., by telling
> them to install and configure a real distro.

Agreed.

> Besides, the LFS LiveCD has no real technical benefits as a host, except that
> it
> is preconfigured and already contains the packages - but why not download them
> separately in a town with a broadband connection, put onto a flash drive, and
> use with your current Linux distro?

In regards to the technical benefits, quite right.  There are many tools
that are useful in tweaking the setup of an LFS install that are only
availablefrom a distro and not on the LiveCD.  Granted I am not "the
average Linux noob" but rather a systems engineer for around a decade, one
of the tools I really needed that the LiveCD didn't have at the time was
raid tools.

(that is, tools for raid, not the specific package "raidtools"..  mdadm is
much better in my opinion)

That was just me toying around with installing an OS on mirrored drives.
After toying around with it, it turns out the LFS is the easiest distro to
do that with; all the other distros out there have overly simplified
installers that don't really let you do it.  Gentoo _almost_ supported it,
if you dropped out of the installer, did some stuff, then went back ot the
installer and skipped steps.

But yeah, I'm sure there are other benefits to having an actual distro.

> In short, LFS website misadvertises the LiveCD as a "well-tested platform"
> (nwebs confuse this with the "best platform"), while if one has a distro
> installed, it should work just as well!

Indeed.

Dennis Stout